The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) is pleased to announce the final station selection for its expansion of Bublr Bikes, Milwaukee’s non-profit bike share system. This expansion project will include 26 new stations and approximately 250 bikes. This project is funded by a federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) grant.
The project goals are to:
- Improve access to bike share by expanding into neighborhoods
- Increase ridership through strategic station placement and increased station density
- Reduce trips made by single-occupancy vehicles
DPW worked with community partners and residents to identify sites for expansion. Two public meetings were held in spring 2019 for community feedback and an online form was available for those unable to attend the meetings. The selected stations reflect input from these meetings and online participation, feedback from a stakeholder advisory committee, and overall fit for the system. While some stations will be used to fill in gaps in the existing bikeshare system, the majority of the stations will be placed in neighborhoods that currently have no access to Bublr.
Station installation is expected in early 2021. To learn more about the project and new stations, visit milwaukee.gov/BublrExpansion.
The planned station locations include:
- Riverworks: North Holton Street and East Townsend Avenue
- MLK Library: North Martin Luther King Drive and West Locust Street
- Gordon Park: North Humboldt Drive and East Hadley Street
- MLK/Clarke: North King Drive and West Clarke Street
- Reservoir Park: North Fratney Street and East Meineke Avenue
- MLK/North: North King Drive and West North Ave
- East Library: North Oakland Avenue and East North Ave
- Lafayette/Prospect: North Prospect Avenue and East Lafayette Place
- *Alternate site: Holton/Meineke: North Holton Street and East Meineke Avenue
- U.S. Post Office: North Jackson Street and East Juneau Street
- Juneau Park: North Prospect Avenue and East Mason Street
- King Park: North 17th and West Vliet Streets
- 27th/State: North 27th and West State Streets
- Tiefenthaler Park: North 27th and West Cherry Streets
- Washington Park North 40th and West Vliet Streets
- Washington Park Library: North Sherman Boulevard and West Lisbon Avenue
- 22nd/Wells: North 22nd and West Wells Streets
- Merrill Park: North 35th and West Clybourn Streets
- Wick Field: West Vliet and North 51st Streets
- Urban Ecology Center: South 37th and West Pierce Streets
- Mitchell Park Domes: South Layton Boulevard and West Pierce Street
- Clarke Square: South 23rd and West Mineral Streets
- 14th/National: South 14th Street and West National Avenue
- 9th/National: South 9th Street and West National Avenue
- 8th/Greenfield: South 8th Street and West Greenfield Avenue
- MCTS Transfer: South First and East Mitchell Streets
- Mitchell Library: South 10th and West Mitchell Streets
- *Alternate site: Mitchell Park: South 22nd and West Pierce Streets
Since launching in 2013 with one dock at Discovery World on the lakefront in downtown Milwaukee, Bublr Bikes has grown to include 83 stations in the Greater Milwaukee area, including Milwaukee, West Allis, and Wauwatosa.
The city’s Department of Public Works said the new station sites were chosen following several public meetings where residents shared their input. While some will fill in gaps in the existing bikeshare system, DPW said the majority will be placed in neighborhoods that currently don’t have access to Bublr.
Milwaukee Department of Public Works map of proposed Bublr Bikes station locations.
*”Alternate” stations will be installed if any of the “first choice” stations are not feasible.